Wednesday, September 25, 2019

A Call to Pharmacy

I was convicted yesterday. I have been doing this job thing all wrong. I used to wonder why God called me to pharmacy. (He did.) But now I see that in his calling me to this profession, he also has challenged me to be the best representation of his love, grace and mercy even within the realm of my profession.

I'm not gonna lie. Pharmacy, for me, has primarily been a financial escape - a 6 figure job that would allow me to live life at a level above my peers and even family. But what I read yesterday challenged me to look at this whole thing very differently. "God provides my meals and pays my bills." I stole that quote from a fellow pharmacist who worked with me in the hospital. I was a 4th year student extern then and he had just graduated and passed his boards. I thought it clever, but I see that it resonates completely differently now. Because the fact is that God truly is at the foundation of all my provided needs. I've been self-focused, looking at my profession through the lens of personal Godhood. I have sought to become my own provider instead of allowing God to be God. The God I preach about. The God who has held me from the very beginning. The God of my ancestors and my future lineage. I feel like this whole time I've been getting in his way.

But I'm praying a true prayer of submission. I want to refocus my mind so that I know if I trust in him and seek him first, he'll add to my life all the things I need AND want in ways I can't imagine.

Today, I'm starting over. Changing my mindset before I embark on a new perspective about my profession. How can Christ be made evident through Pharmacy? How can I utilize this special calling to positively impact those dependent on medication? How can I tap into God's healing power so that his presence and salvation bring those into the full knowledge of him/

I pray for God's answers to find me - renewed in my thinking and actions.

fin.

No comments:

Post a Comment